Thursday, March 6, 2008

Salvation or Self-Help or Both?

As a child I remember seeing my church as a place that sought to reach the lost, but also as a place where we sought self-help by DOING all the things that are supposed to make us grow. DOING is a strong word...it seems workmanlike, and in truth, it is. Now as I'm older, I'm seeing some churches actually turning away from seeking to reach the lost, and focusing on things that are really self-help sometimes even with the guy with the funky smile saying "You can do it!". Let's not forget Matthew 28 and Christ's commission for us to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Let's also remember that the Body of Christ isn't just supposed to be about keeping ourselves in-line through self-help tactics, but to help others grow. We must...I repeat...we must...lock arms and care for each other is we want to be unshakable. It's about God...and his glory...not about ourselves.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, the church is far too self-centered, BUT for those who grew up with a FALSE GOSPEL like I did, self-help is required for health and truth in relationship.

"[These weak women will listen to anybody who will teach them]; they are forever inquiring and getting information, but are never able to arrive at a recognition and knowledge of the Truth." - 2 Timothy 3:7 AMP

It's taken me a long time to acquire something good and true to GIVE to others. Being raised by a mentally ill mother leaves one damaged and deceived. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to help others, I did more damage than good—while I was damaged (in ignorance).

Derek said...

I understand. My point really is that we need to be balanced. If we ourselves don't seek God then we won't be able to help others.