Saturday, January 31, 2009

To Sing Again

I used to sing...years ago. When I was in high school, I used to sing both there and at church. I used to be decent...I think. One day I woke up and realized that just wasn't as good as I thought I was, and I stopped. I started again a few years later, but the confidence in myself was gone. Isn't that kinda how it goes? I think the kicker on all the confidence is that I was in a fight (not proud of it) when I was on my ship back in 2000. During the fight, I busted my nose and the next day when I was running up the stairwell to the bridge, I slipped and fell on the wounded nose, and completely broke it. My breathing and my voice have never been the same.

Its years later and one day my buddy Isaac heard me singing out of nowhere. He told me I was pretty good...and I was embarrassed. I've thought about asking to get involved with music at church, but they have a loaded group of wonderful talent, plus my guitar skills equal horrible. However, I have to face the truth...God gave me at least some talent and if I'm not using it...I'm wasting it.

So the other day Isaac and I were talking and he happens to be getting married in May. Apparently because I've made this great impact on his life (I hope I have), he wants me to have a role in his wedding. I jokingly mentioned I could sing in his wedding, and he said he'd love that and told me to get a song and he'd have his fiance put it in. I was like...what....did that just happen? Uh Oh... Holy Crap what am I going to do?? Well, I guess I'm going to sing again on May 3, 2009 in Cincinnati, Ohio...at my friends wedding. A WEDDING OF ALL PLACES!!! Can you believe that? A year ago I never would have set foot in a wedding let alone sing at one. Maybe I can find a date or something to be there for moral support.

So now I'm singing again. I've picked out a song, and now I've gotta get to work. I feel like I'm in high school again.

No comments: