Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Word of Clarity

Hey all, a couple things I just wanted to note today.

A few days ago I posted about my feelings with what happened on the 24th. Please don't think I was blaming God for my wife not being there. I don't understand why everything has happened around the situation and while I know my failures as a husband put me in that position, it doesn't change me from wanting to know what God is up to with this or why things have been allowed to happen.

As for the change to warrior study...this isn't meant to be a tough guy routine. The truth is the greatest warriors for God in the Bible were the ones who bent their knees before the Lord. From David to Paul...they trusted God and allowed God dominion in their lives to use them. When I mentioned warriors on tv...I meant how characters are perceived as warriors because of their prowess in battle for glory and honor. While its fun to watch on tv, I'm more inclined to look at Jehoshaphat's faith in allowing God to fight for Israel in his armies stead. This is not a slap at history's great leaders, or the men and women who have served our country. I just mean that the warriors that God wants us to become are different. He takes our mistakes in life, and the resulting pain and uses it, if we allow him to, to make us stronger....more able. That's what is amazing about God's faithfulness he takes our tribulations, whether we caused them ourselves or not, and turns them around. This is clarified in Romans 8:28

"And we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love him and are living according to his purpose."

Basically, God can and HAS used the mistakes that I made to make me into a stronger Christian. And he does this for everyone who allows the Lord to do it. He worked it for good. I have my moments where I struggle, like last weekend, but he works it for good.

This is shown in Romans 5:3-5:
"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

These verses don't pick and choose what type of tribulations God uses to form us. It doesn't matter whether we caused them or not, God can and does use them to mold us. Its these things I refer to in talking about suffering and being a warrior.

In all of this, I'm thankful for a God that takes the very things that can destroy us and make us into what he wants us to be. He builds warriors from the ground up...like a potter with clay. That's what I want...I want God to take the sinner that I've been and build me into the kind of man who will never be ashamed of the Gospel. I want to be the kind of man who will pray unceasing...and praise God in all situations. That's the type of warrior for God I want to be.

No comments: