Monday, May 18, 2009

Someone Told Me I Can’t Today

I’m tired of it. I truly am. I’m a 30-year-old man, who for most of those 30 years has been told that he can’t do this and can’t do that. “Derek, you can’t join the Air Force, they won’t take you with a webbed toe.” (Yes, I have a webbed toe) “Derek, you’ll never get into college, you’re too stupid.” “Derek, you’ll never amount to anything” Blah Blah Blah. I’ve seriously had enough. Have I not proven, backed by a Holy God, that I can accomplish things? I made it through 9 years in the military, with my temper being what it used to be, and still made it to First Class Petty Officer. I managed a 3.59 GPA at The Ohio State University, when all I could muster in high school was a 1.93. Yes…that’s right…a 1.93. I survived a divorce that brutalized me physically, mentally, and emotionally and I kept going… I kept the faith. I stood tall. I made mistakes, but I made it. Yet, I still hear, “Derek, you can’t do this.” Says who?

Today, I was talking to a manager about the possibility of working late October 18th so I can run the Columbus Marathon that morning. It’s the Sunday of the final Washington Mutual conversion to Chase and we are needed to work. I was inquiring about the possibility of working later that day so I can run it instead of the November 7th Indianapolis Marathon, and this guy that I work with proceeded to question whether or not I could do it. As I was coaching him on a call, he then told me that I could run the marathon sure…I could run the drink stations or I can run the finish line. He thought it was funny, I certainly didn’t. I’m just tired of people doubting me. This guy doesn’t even know me, but I felt torn down that someone would tell me I can’t. Please let me clarify, I don’t think he meant anything bad by saying what he said. I’m sensitive on this and I will continue to be. I’m going to run it, Lord-willing. Kidney stones won’t stop me, my ankles won’t stop me, and my past failures won’t stop me. So that being said…I welcome anyone who wants to stay on my butt for this. I’m running this race.

I admit that I need help though. I can’t run it without God. I can’t do anything without Him. It sounds weird for me to say I need him for such a personal venture. However, I need Him with me. I need Him running that race besides me. It’s only through Him will the right people breathe life into my heart and mind. It’s only through Him that I can even live. I’m going to run it, and I won’t be alone. I can and will do this