Friday, May 29, 2009

Passionate

Sometimes we don’t realize how passionate God is, especially for his people. Over the years as I’ve read and studied the Bible, I’ve focused on the stories and the teachings, and maybe occasionally noticing that God is passionate, but today was different. I’ve been in the book of Isaiah for awhile and today as I was reading in chapter 44, I saw how God had raised up Cyrus to allow the exiles to return to their homeland. I was astonished by God's passion for his people as seen in verse 22 and continuing through 23. Take a look:

“I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you. Sing for joy, you heavens, for the Lord has done this; shout aloud, you earth beneath. Burst into song, you mountains, you forests and all your trees, for the Lord has redeemed Jacob, he displays his glory in Israel” (Isaiah 44:22-23, TNIV)

Do you see the passion in His words? Do you feel them etching onto your heart? At the moment I first read this today I was astounded by the passion that God displays not only in this passage but throughout the entire Bible. How often do we miss this? His passion for His creation is so deep. He uses words that describe his passion like '"sing", "burst", "shout" and "swept" when describing His actions and desires in celebrating the redemption of His people. If you ever sit back and truly wonder, “Does God care?” then you definitely have your answers in the passages. Of course, the greatest example of His passion is found in Christ. It simply amazes me how much God truly loves us.

No comments: