Friday, February 22, 2008

Forgiveness...

One of the things we as human beings find it hard to do is to forgive people and ourselves for that matter. This is something I've talked long and hard with my Executive Pastor and friend, Gary Fowler (you can find the link to his interesting and yet witty blog off to the right) with over the course of the past couple months. The truth is, as I'm sure you might have guessed, that I haven't forgiven myself for the mistakes I made in my marriage. I understand thats who I was, but I tend to go back over and over again and think about all the failures I committed. So this weekend I'm committing my time to forgiveness for both myself and to be able to forgive my wife. Everyday I wake up and say that I forgive her, but yet I catch myself yelling at her under my breath in places like the shower or when I'm fixing something to eat. I need to forgive her too. Anyways the idea I got from Gary is kinda mutated now but in short I'm going to isolate myself with just God and take each issue I need to forgive both myself and my wife to him...and then forgive.

In order to move on with life...in order to love...in order to truly love God and others the way we are meant to do, I must forgive....I want to forgive...I will forgive, with his help...I will forgive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17 AMP

Jesus would say, "You are forgiven, my son!"

The more you reaffirm who you are in Christ, the more your behavior will begin to reflect your true identity!

Who I Am In Christ
I am accepted...
John 1:12 I am God's child.
John 15:15 As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1 I have been justified.
1 Corinthians 6:17 I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
1 Corinthians 12:27 I am a member of Christ's body.
Ephesians 1:3-8 I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 I am complete in Christ.
Hebrews 4:14-16 I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

I am secure...
Romans 8:1-2 I am free from condemnation.
Romans 8:28 I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 I am hidden with Christ in God.
Philippians 1:6 I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
Philippians 3:20 I am a citizen of heaven.
2 Timothy 1:7 I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
1 John 5:18 I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

I am significant...
John 15:5 I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
John 15:16 I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 I am God's temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6 I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10 I am God's workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Derek said...

Thanks for the amazing verses!