Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014 - Why I'm Thankful

The past couple of years have been pretty rough. Whether it be the job hunt or the highly stressful year working in a tough position in Cincinnati, it's been difficult. I spent plenty of time questioning God's direction for me. Honestly, I didn't know what was going to happen.

In truth, I've kept a secret from most people about the job hunt. I applied to my alma mater Boardman High School two years in a row. I was homesick and wanted to go home. I wanted to make a difference in my community. I hoped to be another light in a region that has long suffered economically. I wanted to be a part of something special at home. To say that I had zeroed in on Boardman High School would be an understatement. That's where I wanted to be. It was my dream job.

In 2013, I aggressively pursued an interview at Boardman, and I eventually got one. It went well, at least I thought it did. I drove back to Cincinnati that day believing that it was my destiny to return home. At the very least, I expected to get a second interview. However, that's not what happened. The principal called and basically told me that I wasn't a good fit, but he believed that I would be an excellent teacher one day. I was heartbroken, but I didn't give up hope that I could one day go home.

During the 2013-2014 school year, I did what I could to fill my resume. I coached both football and basketball and taught at a charter school in downtown Cincinnati. I worked hard and poured myself into everything I did. Furthermore, I periodically emailed Boardman to let them know that I was still around and hoped for another opportunity. Later, when I began applying for jobs again, one of the first things I did was update my application with Boardman. I called and emailed again, but this time there was no interview.

I'm not going to lie; this perceived rejection hurt. Was there something wrong with me? What did Boardman see that they didn't like? What was my flaw? To this day, I don't know. All I know is that I spent the next few months feeling bitter about it, even when I got hired at North Park.

My perspective has changed now that I've been here for almost three months. I'm thankful for the wonderful kids I've been blessed to teach. I appreciate an administration that has faith in me to take different approaches with my Social Studies kids. I'm thrilled that, for the most part, the students and their parents have accepted me as one of their own. The move here has been a more difficult adjustment than I anticipated, but I love it in North Park. My wife loves it here. We can see the purpose for which we were brought here, and for all of that, I'm thankful.

I no longer feel bitter that Boardman didn't hire me. They had their reasons, and maybe I wouldn't have done as well there. I think that God had a different, better plan for us. For that, I'm thankful more than words can express. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: