Friday, March 12, 2010

Primal

I finished reading Mark Batterson’s “Primal” today and I must say it left me convicted. It’s not like I have been doing anything wrong. That’s not the point. I guess the point is what have I been doing right? What have I been doing to love God? I took from this book that there is more to our walks with God than just not doing things wrong. There is more to loving God than just avoiding sin. It’s about pursuing His plans for us. It’s about running after the dreams and passions He’s given us. It’s about taking action to love God.

But how am I loving God? Seriously, in my everyday life, what do I do to love God? Who have I talked to about Jesus today? Who have I asked to church today? Who have I loved today that reflects Christ? What am I so passionate about I know that God’s finger is upon it? Truthfully, I can not answer these questions without feeling convicted. I did not talk about Jesus to anyone today. I failed to even think about inviting someone to church today. I hope I have shown my wife God’s love today, but that would probably be it, and she could actually say differently. Oh, and lets not forget my passions. I am thirty-one years old and I still am not sure what I want to be when I grow up. My degree from Ohio State is great to have, but I am not using it. I work for a good company and it is a blessing in troubled economic times, but I’m not passionate about it. What am I passionate about? Writing, I’m passionate about writing. I’m really passionate about writing. I’m passionate about singing. Oh, and the most interesting one to me: the homeless. When I see a homeless person it tears me up. I want to help. It’s like a need to help and over the past month, it’s only been building in me. These are my passions…it’s living, breathing, and growing in me, but still I do very little. The art of “doing” is the problem. The primal Christian takes action and does not sit in the shadows trying to live the easy life. Despite the hardships I faced in life, I never pressed in on God. I always settled for the easy walk. Well maybe I don’t want an easy walk. I want everything that God wants for me…I want primal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of a sermon our pastor just talked about. He talked about waking up everyday and saying "Yes God". It's the hardest thing we will ever do but it's what God wants us to do. Maybe your "Yes God" moment is helping the homeless? Just a thought. :)

Derek said...

That's what my guess is. Just have to find a way to do it.