Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Nationals Park – June 8, 2010

Following our trip to South Carolina, where Jenn’s friends Beth and Brian took us in for a week, we made our way up to the Washington, D.C. area. We decided to leave a day earlier than originally planned so that we could visit Shenandoah National Park on the way. We camped out there on a Sunday night, which meant there was something like only five campsites being used. We virtually had the campground to ourselves! It provided a much needed peace after a rather stressful day.

The next morning, we continued on to the D.C. metro area, where we got to hang out with my old military friends, the McClures and the Greens. They gave us place to stay, they fed us, and most importantly, they spent some time with us. It was great to catch up with them; however, the brunt of our time in Washington was spent touring. We walked from monument to monument taking in as much as possible.

We were also sure to spend time going through the National Air & Space Museum and a couple other Smithsonian museums. Another activity that we did was stop in the town where I used to live, which gave Jenn an idea of where I’ve been, something that was important for me.

On June 8th, we made our way to Nationals Park to see the Washington Nationals host the Pittsburgh Pirates. This ballpark opened on March 30, 2008, after the Nationals played their first three seasons in RFK Stadium. The ballpark itself is built differently from the more recent ballparks opened across the country: there is no red brick in this ballpark like the more recent retro-look that ballparks like Busch Stadium went for. Rather, Nationals Park is built out of steel, glass, and pre-cast concrete that was meant to reflect the architecture of Washington’s many buildings and monuments (specifically the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art).

It has plenty for fans to do, including numerous restaurants and an arcade. Another positive for the ballpark is that it’s easy for fans to get around. Jenn and I entered at the centerfield gate, went up one escalator to our level and walked right to our seats. There was no confusion, no double escalators, and no asking ushers where we needed to go.

However, the main issue that I have with the park is that it looked to me like an overgrown Minor League Park. The concrete, steel, and glass didn’t give it that special look that is reserved for a Major League ballpark. I understand what the architects were looking for, but it just didn’t work for me. It looked very sterile, and without character. It’s a nice ballpark with lots to do, but due to its lack of a signature look, it’s just a ballpark. I’m sure many fans will disagree with my assessment, but this is just my opinion. Overall it’s a nice ballpark, just not in my taste, and therefore not in my Top Ten ballparks.

This completed my ballpark trips for 2010 and possibly for 2011. I’m thankful for the friends that I got to visit and the sights I got to share with my newlywed wife. And I’m thankful that I have a woman in my life who supports me on these adventures.

No comments: